What are Maximo Report Object Structures?
Report Object Structures (ROS) are used in Maximo 7.x as a basis for ad-hoc or Query Based Reporting (QBR). ROS enables users to create their own custom reports without any technical development skills.
While Maximo creates a basic ROS for every application, understanding and configuring more refined ROS can improve reporting and analytics for your user community. This will also allow users to be more self-sufficient, and reduce the need to create enterprise reports for low numbers of users.
ROS can be configured within the Object Structures Application with the ability to use both standard and user defined Objects and Relationships. This provides a powerful reporting tool to the user community.
What versions of Maximo are ROS available in?
Report Object Structures have been available in Maximo since version 7.1. In Maximo 220.127.116.11, the functionality was enhanced to allow multiple ROS to be defined and associated in a single application.
Maximo handles multiple ROS in the following ways:
- If no ROS are defined for an application, Maximo will create a basic ROS to allow ad-hoc reports to be created;
- If only one ROS has been defined for an application, Maximo will only display the created ROS and not show the basic ROS noted above;
- If multiple ROS are defined for an application, the first ROS will be automatically chosen, however, this can be changed during the create report process.
How do I create and configure a new ROS?
Maximo Report Object Structures can be set up in three simple steps:
Step 1 – Create the Object Structure
The first step is to create a Maximo Object Structure which is accessible for reporting.
- This step is performed in the Object Structure Application which can be accessed from the GoTo menu:
GoTo -> Integration -> Object Structures
Note: If you cannot find Object Structures in your GoTo menu, it may have either been moved or you may not have access to create them. You will need to speak to your Maximo Systems Administrator to confirm.
- Create an Object Structure in the same way you would for integration, however ensure you select a ‘Consumed By’ option that is accessible for reports (REPORTING for example):
- Ensure that all required objects for the reports the ROS will support are added, as well as the correct relationships:
Tip: Remember that Business Users may be using this Object Structure to generate reports. It is therefore advised to enter descriptive Reporting Descriptions in the Source Objects and exclude all fields that users will not need (‘Exclude/Include Fields’ on the ‘Select Action’ Menu).
Once the Object Structure is created and configured, Step 1 is complete.
Step 2 – Enable Security Access
Step 2 is to enable security for your ROS. Without doing this, users will be unable to use the new Report Object Structure.
- Security is configured in the Report Administration Application which can be accessed from the GoTo menu:
(7.1 / 7.5) GoTo -> Administration -> Reporting -> Report Administration
(7.6) GoTo -> Administration -> Report Administration
Note: If you cannot find Report Administration in your GoTo menu, it may have either been moved or you may not have access to create them. You will need to speak to your Maximo Systems Administrator to confirm.
- When in the Report Administration Application, select ‘Set Report Object Structure Security’ from the ‘Select Action’ menu. In the window that appears, filter for the Object Structure you created in Step 1 in the Report Object Structures Section:
- When selected, click on ‘New Row’ in the Report Object Structures Security section and use the Select Value button on the ‘Group’ field to select which User Security Groups you would like to have access to your new ROS. Remember that only users who are in the Security Groups selected will be able to use the ROS.
Note: If the Security Group you wish to add does not appear on the list, then that Security Group does not have the ‘Create Report’ security access. Ensure ‘Create Report’ is ticked for the application the ROS is specified for and retry.
With the ROS created and security defined, the final step is to use your new ROS!
Step 3 – Use your ROS in an Ad-hoc Report
To use the new ROS, open the application your ROS specifies then click on ‘Select Action’ and ‘Run Reports’.
- When the window appears, click on the ‘Create Report’ button on the Select tab (or Content in Maximo 7.6). Click on the ‘Select Action’ button for the category and select your new ROS.
- Once selected, you will be able to choose any of the columns/attributes from the objects specified in the ROS. You can also use the other tabs to add filters, groupings etc. to the report. Once completed, you can save the report, or just run it by clicking on ‘Submit’ or ‘Preview Report’. The report will then run and display on screen.