1. What is your position at BPD Zenith?
“My name is Xufeng and I’m the group finance manager. I am responsible for all aspects of the accounts for all the regions within BPD Group and financial reporting to the country managers and the boards.”
2. What led you to choose this career path?
“I started my career as a professional accountant in a public practice and later I realised that I’m interested in taking a more commercial path as it involves analysis of financial figures and how we can apply the analysis to daily operating.”
3. Which part of your job do you most enjoy?
“I enjoy seeing the correspondence and analysis of the figures. The figures tell me what we can expect in the future and what we have achieved in the past.”
4. What do you like about working at BPD Zenith?
“I like the team environment – everyone is always willing to help each other to achieve the broader goals.”
5. What are the values that drive you?
“Honesty and integrity – my role allows me to have access to sensitive information and it is vital to communicate the information in an ethical way.”
6. What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?
“I’m learning violin with my son in my spare time and this is an instrument that I’ve never tried before. I enjoy being able to spend time with him and learn something together that is new to the both of us. I also enjoying outdoor activities such as snowboarding and scuba diving.”
7. If you were not an accountant, what alternative career path would you have chosen and why?
“I was really interested in jewellery design and making when I was in college so if I wasn’t in finance, I would pursue a career in that.”
8. What’s a work-related accomplishment that you’re really proud of?
“My greatest accomplishment was being able to complete my first year’s audit in 27 days considering I only joined BPD for 2 months at that time.”
9. What’s your favourite way to unwind after a busy day?
“Relax, have a cup of tea and watch a movie or chat with the family.”
10. What would we most likely find you doing on the weekend?
“I normally go swimming on Saturday morning and then enjoy brunch with the family. On Sundays we normally go out for activities, a local park or attractions for a day trip. There are many beaches and national parks near Melbourne that are suited for a day trip.”
In celebration of International Women’s Day, we asked the women in our team to share about their experiences in the IT/asset management space as well as offer advice to women aspiring to join these industries…
1. What would your advice be to women who are just starting out in the IT/asset management industry?
“Closely follow the instructions from your supervisors and ask questions. Your manager is expecting you to ask questions and make mistakes – that is how you will learn and identify areas of improvement for yourself.”
2. Which woman inspires you the most and why?
“J. K. Rowling. The Harry Porter series accompanied and inspired me during my teenage years, and it is still very popular among the readers after 20 years since its release date. Rowling’s passion and not-giving- up spirit inspires me.”
3. What can be done to encourage and increase the number of female employees in IT and asset management?
“I think women need to be genuinely interested and passionate towards IT and asset management if they want to work in this field.”
4. What is your favourite thing about being a woman?
“I like that women have more choice. There are a variety of options available to us in all aspects of life.”
5. What is the most important message you want to send out to young women thinking about their careers?
“We can do pretty much everything that men do. Follow your heart – young women can do anything as long as they’re interested and have the willingness to do well.”